Healthy snacks for your toddler
Your child is growing by the minute and his or her need for snacks is as important as his meals. Snacks help maintain their energy between meals. It is important for you to ensure the snacks are nutrient dense and not only calorie dense.
Healthy Snacks: Quick tips to parents
At this age, you should start observing growth in your child in the following areas
- A fruit is a tasty and convenient option that is also an easy hunger pang buster.
- Reach for milk: A cup of milk served with nuts and dried fruits is as easy as it gets.
- Keep the sugar out: Tempting, as it may be, cakes, pastries, cookies should be avoided between meals.
- Portioning: Limit the snacks to appropriate portion sizes so that your child does not skip his or her next meal.
- Read food labels while shopping for packed foods: Go for foods like multi-grain cereals that are packed with nutrients and low in added sugars, saturated fat, and sodium.
- Water is the elixir: Always encourage children to drink plenty of water rather than sugar sweetened beverages .
How to help your child eat right
- Your child will eat anything when he/she is hungry. Make use of the opportunity to offer them fruits and vegetables and other nutrient-dense foods.
- Stock up on easy to assemble healthy foods like yoghurt dips, whole grain crackers, nuts, etc.
- Be a role model to your kids by eating healthy.